Mind Spa - A Resource for Students
Stress is the most commonly identified barrier to academic performance among college students and the number one self-reported reason for seeking counseling support here at BW. In fact, many studies have linked high levels of distress with multiple adverse outcomes including anxiety and depression for college populations.
Support for Students
The Mind Spa is an innovative and creative way to help our student body better cope with stress. The Mind Spa offers cutting edge technology in a restorative, relaxing environment that helps students to learn and practice skills necessary to intentionally manage their physiological response to stress.
- self-directed biofeedback training using three different computerized biofeedback games that promote relaxation, focus and centeredness,
- guided meditations for stress relief, relaxation, health, and happiness,
- breath training with emWave, a handheld device that monitors heart rate and conditions heart rhythm,
- relaxation CDs,
- utilizing a light box to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and/or plugging in an ion generator that produces biochemical reactions helpful in improving mood, relieving stress, and boosting energy,
- aromatherapy to support physical and emotional health, and
- a chair massage for soothing sore muscles and relieving stress and tension in the upper and lower back.