2012 Obie Bender Awards Honor Multicultural Achievement at Baldwin Wallace University
The annual awards are named for Dr. Obie Bender ’62, who was an officer of the College for 36 years. Throughout his tenure Bender provided exceptional leadership as a College administrative liaison and was responsible for inter-collegiate athletics, campus security and the Health and Physical Education and Recreation facilities.
The following students received awards this year:
- Outstanding First-Year student – Mylonne Sullivan ‘15 from Solon
- Outstanding Sophomore – Le’Anna Miller ‘14 from Cleveland
- Outstanding Junior – Jason Hairston ‘13 from Berea
- Outstanding Senior – Alechia Bryant ’12 from Cleveland
- Community Service – Deant’e Lavender ’12 from Cleveland
- Jacket Link/Mentoring – Tiana Lackey ’12 from Cleveland
- Global Citizen – Gina Mason ’12 from Cleveland
- Outstanding Student Organization of the Year – Black Student Alliance (Zania Kennedy ‘14, President, from Fairlawn; Alana Garrett-Ferguson ‘15, Vice President, from Cleveland; Nyla Watson ‘13, Director of Publicity, from Bedford Heights; Le’Anna Miller ‘14, Director of Programming, from Cleveland; Cierra Norris ‘13, Treasurer, from Brook Park; Raven Bailey ‘12, Secretary, from Euclid; and Ken Atchinson, Advisor)
- Faculty/Administrator Award – BW President Richard Durst
Bender, who continues his association with athletics as the player program consultant for the Cleveland Browns and as a member of the Board of directors of the PGA, attended the awards ceremony with his wife, Betty. Bender also developed the educational component of the Renee Powell PGA Youth Golf Cadre Program, which was the model for the PGA’s First Tee youth program.