What are the basic rules?
- Student educational records are considered confidential and may not be released without the written consent of the student.
- As a faculty or staff member you have a responsibility to protect educational records in your possession.
- Some information is considered public (sometimes called "Directory Information"). This information may be released without the student's written permission. Please note the word "may". Typically, this information is not released unless there is an urgent situation regarding public health or safety. However, the student may opt to consider this information confidential as well. Directory Information is: name, address, phone, dates of attendance, degrees received, major program, height/weight of athletes, e-mail address, student photos, full or part time status, and date of birth.
- You have access to information only for legitimate use in completion of your responsibilities as a university employee. Need to know is the basic principle.
- If you are ever in doubt, do not release any information until you contact the Office of the Registrar at 440-826-2127. The Office of the Registrar is designated as the custodian of student records and therefore is responsible for student record information.
Read The Faculty Guidelines >>
Return to previous page.