Master of Arts in Education


School Social Work License

Professional school social workers play a vital role in helping school children of all ages.  Traditionally, school social workers serve as liaisons between the home, the school and the community.  School social workers are an important part of the school team, possessing unique interdisciplinary knowledge and contributing to programs designed for students at-risk due to a variety of factors, including:

  • emotional problems
  • poor self esteem
  • child abuse and domestic violence
  • poverty and unemployment
  • suicidal behavior, drug and alcohol abuse
  • teen pregnancy and parenting
  • discrimination
  • attendance-related issues

School social work competencies include assessing the needs of school children in a variety of traditional and nontraditional educational settings, designing and implementing interventions and making referrals to other professionals and agencies as needed.

CWRU / Baldwin Wallace - School Social Work Program

Baldwin Wallace University participates in a cooperative program for graduate students enrolled at the Case Western Reserve University Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences (MSASS) - the social work license is earned through MSASS and graduate education courses are taken at Baldwin Wallace University to complete requirements for the School Social Work license. 

Students enroll in the following three graduate education courses at Baldwin Wallace University:

  • EDU-510     Educational Studies
  • EDU-584     Pupil Services and Community Resources
  • EDU-573     Education of Children with Special Needs


Application Process

To qualify for enrollment in Baldwin Wallace's graduate coursework, students interested in School Social Work must:

  1. Apply for Admission -- apply online to Baldwin Wallace University, using the Master of Arts in Education application and marking CWRU School Social Work Program as your program of interest
  2. Print and complete the School Social Work Verification and Eligibility Form and have it signed by the CWRU MSASS Director.  Return it to the BW Office of Admission.  This form assures that you have met the eligibility requirements set by the CWRU Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences Program to pursue a School Social Work license.  For more information on the CWRU School Social Work License, go to or email
Share |