Veterans and Military


BW is Recognized as a
Yellow Ribbon College 

Lauded for its role in supporting veterans, BW has been designated a Yellow Ribbon institution by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This honor enables qualifying Post-9/11 veterans to attend Baldwin Wallace University tuition free.  


How do I know which benefits
I am eligible for?

How do I choose between the Post-911 benefits and the Montgomery GI Bill?

Each veteran's benefits differ based on type and length of service and whether you have already used the Montgomery GI Bill. 

Talk with an Education Case Worker/
Veteran's Benefits Counselor

in the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Educational Benefits for Veterans

The GI Bill has helped educate some of our nation's greatest leaders, including three U.S. presidents, three Supreme Court justices, 14 Nobel Prize winners, 12 U.S. senators, and 24 Pulitzer Prize winners.

Receiving VA Benefits - VA Form 22-1990

Your first step in receiving educational benefits for your military service is to submit VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) - either by paper or online. The Veteran's Online Application (VONAPP) allows you to submit your request online.  If applying online, you must send the VA a signature card - they will not process any application without a signature.  

A number of web links and contacts are listed on the right side of this page to assist you.  In addition, a good resource is, a web site designed to assist service members and veterans with clear, comprehensive guidance on the steps to making the most out of their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. 


Enrollment Certification at BW

Once you have applied and been admitted to Baldwin Wallace University, you will need to work with Baldwin Wallace to certify your enrollment to the Veteran's Administration (VA).  Each semester, BW must report how many hours you will be enrolled during that term.   To have your enrollment certified at BW each semester, contact:

Denise Manke

Registration & Records, Bonds Hall

Enrollment verification is done by the student at the end of each month to let the VA know that your enrollment information has not changed.  Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month online by using WAVE - the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment at or by calling toll free 1-877-823-2378.   The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility that states your remaining entitlement and monthly disbursement amounts.  Your GI Bill check will normally be mailed to you at the beginning of each month for the previous month. (For example, the check you receive in October covers your eligibility from the month of September).  If you have questions, call 1-800-827-1000 to speak with a Veteran's Benefits Counselor in the Department of Veterans Affairs.


Regarding Financial Aid:

In addition to GI Bill or other VA educational benefits, most veteran students may be eligible for financial aid such as federal or state grants and Federal Direct student loans.  Veteran students may also be eligible to receive a BW scholarship or merit award, as determined through the admission process. However, if a veteran receives 100% in tuition benefits through the GI Bill or other VA education benefits, they will not receive additional financial aid or scholarships above the cost of tuition. Submitting the FAFSA and determining financial aid eligibility can assist in helping veterans pay for college once their GI Bill or other VA education benefits have been exhausted.

Our web site gives lots of information on Financial Aid, or to talk with a financial aid counselor, contact:

Carolyn McCluskey

Financial Aid Office, Bonds Hall


Ohio National Guard Scholarships

If you are receiving a scholarship from the Ohio National Guard, contact Carolyn McCluskey in Financial Aid to make sure that BW has a copy of your scholarship approval through the Ohio National Guard. 


VA Form 28-1905

If your eligibility for benefits includes submitting the VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance/Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status), please contact:

Marcia Shaffer, Bursar's Office

Bonds Hall

Share |