Why Study Abroad?
So...why should you consider studying off-campus? This is a loaded question with many different answers depending on personal aspirations, needs, and your unique point-of-view. Maybe you are interested in learning another language. Perhaps you view studying abroad as a positive career move. Or maybe this is an opportunity to explore the world and expereince life from a different perspective. Regardless of your reasons, studying abroad offers numerous educational and personal outcomes. Here are a few:
Our Goals: By encouraging, supporting, and advising students to engage in their international experiences, the Explorations/Study Abroad Center at BW cultivates students who are contributing and compassionate citizens of an increasingly global society.
Our Objectives: The Explorations/Study Abroad Center encourages strong communication skills, enhanced critical thinking and reasoning abilities, and the personal confidence gained from trekking the unknown. Off-campus programs offered at BW give our students the knowledge, skills, and attitudes they need to be successful.
- Demonstrates knowledge of global issues, processes, trends and systems (i.e., economic and political interdependency among nations; environmental-cultural interaction; global governance bodies).
- Understands his/her culture in global and comparative context-that is, recognizes that his/her culture is one of many diverse cultures and that alternate perceptions and behaviors may be based in cultural differences.
- Uses knowledge, diverse cultural frames of reference, and alternate perspectives to think critically and solve problems.
- Adapts his/her behavior to interact effectively with those who are different.
- Accepts cultural differences and tolerates cultural ambiguity.
- Demonstrates an ongoing willingness to seek out international or intercultural opportunities.
"Studying abroad is about finding yourself. The best way to do that is to go away from everything and everyone you know. Once you've done this, you will be amazed at what you can do. You may not remember everyday, but you'll never forget the moments." -- Michael Columbro