Music of Johann Sebastian Bach - Manuscripts
(There are 12 items in this list.)
532. Cantate | Dominica post festurn circumcisionis Christi | Dialogus. | "Ach Gott wie manches Herzeleid." | von I. S. Bach | Organo. 2 parts. Fol., wove paper, 33 x 26 cm; 34 x 26 cm. organ part: [i], 2-19 pp.; violin part:  pp. Title of violin part is the same except that the German line is underscored and the word “Organo” replaced by "Violino 1me". This is a truncated version of Cantata 58, arranged for organ, and copied in a neat, 19th century hand. Dynamic markings added in pencil to violin part.
533. Concerto à violino, violoncello et contrabasso von S. Bach [caption-title]. 3 parts. Fol., wove paper, 34 x 26 cm. Violin:  pp.; Cello:  pp.; Bass:  pp. This is a neat, 19th-century MS. of a concerto of three movements, arranged after the manner of the Bach-Mozart trios, and transposed to C major from the original keys. Arranger unknown. Contents: 1st movement, Organ sonata No. 1 (S. 525); 2nd movement, Flute and harpsichord sonata No. 3 (S. 1032) ; 3rd movement, Organ sonata No. 1 (S. 525).
534. [Cantata] No. 26. | Ihr seid Gottes Kinder, etc. | Joh. Seb. Bach. | 4 voci | 2 Violini | 1 Viola | 2 Oboi | 2 Flauti | 2 Corni in f | Contin. 55 pp., fol., wove paper, black cloth, 33 x 26 cm. Although labeled No. 26, this is actually Cantata 40 with a variant first line. 19th-century hand, unidentified, same as that of Item 535. Name written or stamped on title twice: Emil Kahn.
535. [Cantata] No. 108. | Der Herr denket an uns. | Joh. Seb. Bach. | 4 Voci | 2 Violini | 1 Viola | Basso Viocell. | Contin. 15 pp., fol., Wove paper, 33 x 26 cm. Although labeled No. 108, this is actually Cantata 196. 19th century hand, unidentified, same as that of Item 534. Imperfect: All wanting after m. 59 of Aria No. 4.
536. Prelude. | del Sige. | Iean Sebast. Bach. 4 unnumbered ll., fol., laid paper, 34 x 21 cm. 18th-century copy in two unidentified hands; title and caption in different hand from remainder of the MS. Contents:, Prelude and Gigue of E minor English Suite (S. 810).
537. Prelude. | del Sige. | Iean Sebast. Bach. 4 unnumbered ll., fol., laid paper, 34 x 21 cm. 18th-century copy in two unidentified hands; title and caption in different hand from remainder of the MS. Contents: Prelude to D minor English Suite (S. 811).
538. [Six trios for violin, viola and violoncello.] 3 parts. Fol., wove paper, 34 x 26 cm. Violin:  pp.; Viola:  pp.; Cello:  pp. A neat, 19th century copy of the collection of six trios, based on selected compositions by J. S. and W. F. Bach, arranged by Mozart, with Mozart's own adagios preceding Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 6. At head of each part is the caption: Trio v. J. S. Bach. (Mozart u. W. Rust).
539. Svite Premiere avec Prelude | del Sige. | Iean Sebast. Bach. 6 unnumbered ll., fol., laid paper, 34 x 21 cm. 18th-century copy in two unidentified hands; title and caption of G minor suite in different hand from remainder of the MS. Contents. Prelude of A major English Suite (S. 806); Prelude and Gigue of G minor English Suite (S. 808); Gigue of D minor English Suite (S. 811).
540. The | Well-temper'd Clavier; | or | Forty-eight Preludes and Fugues | by Sebastian Bach | Da Vincenzo Novello | Al suo stimatissimo Amico I Dragonetti. 85 unnumbered ll., 4' in 8's, wove paper, 3/4 black calf, mottled boards. Colophon: R. H. Billings | music copyist Decr 1833. Lengthy presentation inscription and description on front flyleaf, signed by Vincent Novello and dated June 8, 1846. In this, Novello explains original gift to Dragonetti, the reversion of it to him at Dragonetti's death, and his final disposal of the MS. to [C. G.] Whittaker, whose bookplate is on the front pastedown. Morocco label on cover reads: Fuge di Sebastian Bach. | Contrabasse | Da Vincenzo Novello | al suo Stimatissimo Amico | Dragonetti | 1833. Contents: Bass part of each of the 48 preludes and fugues suitable for the double bass, with appropriate cues for the clavier part.
541. Wo soll ich fliehen hin [No. 2 of the Schübler Chorales]. 1 l., pencil copy, 35 x 28 cm. Realization of continuo by Arthur Shepherd for the 1938 Bach Festival at Baldwin Wallace University.
542. Das wohl temperirte Clavir | oder | Preludia und Fugen | durch alle Tone und Semitonia | so wohl Tertiam majorem oder Ut, Re, Mi, | anlagend | als auch | Tertiam minorem oder Re, Mi, Fa, betreffend. | Zum Nützen und Gebrauch der Lehr- | begierigen Musicalischen Jugend, | als auch derer in die- | sem Studio schon | habil seyenden | Besonderen Zeit Vertreib auff gesetz und | Verfertigt Von | Johann Sebastian Bach. H. | Cöth. Capell Meister und Dir. der Cam. M. | ae 1723. | Decopirt | H N Gerber. | Lipsia. die 31. [sic] Novemb. 17-25. 41 unnumbered ll., fol., laid paper (3 sorts), 1/2 black cloth, boards, 32 x 21 cm. (1st 5 ll.); 34 x 21 cm. (ll. 6-41). First 29 leaves in same hand, leaves 30-41 in different hand. Contents: Book I only. Imperfect: Preludes and Fugues 3 through 6 wanting. At top of verso of title page, in faint pencil - Kam mit einem grossen Theil von Gerber's | Nachlass in März 1876 in meinen Besitz | E. P. | seh. Bach-Ausgabe XXIII Jahre T XIV tum.
543. [Das wohltemperierte Klavier. Book II]. n.p., n.d. 55 ll., laid paper, 3/4 calf, marbled boards, 23 x 31 cm. Fugues only. Name on front flyleaf: John Foster. Unidentified hand, probably late 18th or early 19th century.